[Pdns-users] "Parsing record content: Data field in DNS should start with quote" on TXT/SPF records

Julian Mehnle julian at mehnle.net
Thu Sep 20 19:23:44 UTC 2007

Hi all,

all of a sudden, I am having trouble with TXT or SPF records in PowerDNS
2.9.21 (on Debian).  I repeatedly get the following errors in syslog:

| Sep 20 19:11:22 io pdns[24094]: Exception: Parsing record content: Data field in DNS should start with quote (") at position 0 of 'v=spf1 op=auth mx -all'
| Sep 20 19:11:22 io pdns[24094]: TCP Connection Thread died because of STL error: Parsing record content: Data field in DNS should start with quote (") at position 0 of 'v=spf1 op=auth mx -all'

The record PDNS complains about must be either a TXT or an SPF record.
Since when do those have to be quoted?  It has been working without quotes
since I switched from BIND 9 to PowerDNS.

TIA,
Julian.