[Pdns-users] pdns-recursor peering

Darren Gamble darren.gamble at sjrb.ca
Mon Oct 15 13:57:30 UTC 2007

Good day,

> What I want to know is: Can I set my pdns-recursor servers to check
each
> others cache before asking the root zones ?

Thanks to everyone else who's replied so far.

This configuration is something that we've also examined.

The issue is, quite simply, that doing this has higher resourcing
requirements and higher latency than simply having "plain" caches behind
the load balancer.  I believe Bert would echo this as well.

If your goal is to have fast, efficient, reliable caches, you'll be much
better off with the KISS solution of having n+1 plain caches behind your
load balancer, or simply splitting your clients amongst different cache
pairs.

Instead, spend your development time investigating interface bonding,
redundancy in your network and perhaps even having another load balancer
and/or caches on multiple networks for your resolver pairs.

If there's some specific reason why you'd like inter-cache peering, let
us know what it is, and we could probably suggest an appropriate
solution for you.

Good luck!

Darren Gamble
Systems Architect, Regional Services