[Pdns-users] pdns-recursor peering

Jan Gyselinck pdns-users at lists.b0rken.net
Fri Oct 12 04:26:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 12:30:11PM +1000, Mick Pollard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been asked to put together a suggestion for a new caching-dns setup for our company.
> I have had a look at the recursor.conf options and can't find anything to help.
> We will have a hardware load balancer with x amount of servers running pdns-recursor behind it..
> What I want to know is: Can I set my pdns-recursor servers to check each others cache before asking the root zones ?

No you can't.  I know Bert was toying around with a couple of ideas
in that direction, the main problem is the fact that checking locally
(before fetching it from the right location) costs time and thus
increases the query-response latency.  In practice the problem seems
to be a moot point, you surely are not the only one with a load
balancer setup with x amount of servers behind it, and the other open/free
big DNS resolver implementations don't support 'peering' either.

Regards

Jan Gyselinck