[Pdns-users] New to powerdns

Brendan Oakley gentux2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 22:41:51 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 2:21 PM, Sloan <joe at tmsusa.com> wrote:
> Hi Brendan,

Hi.

> But bind does have issues, for instance, the fact that every time we
> restart it, it becomes fairly comatose and thrashes the CPU for about 5
> minutes, while loading up all the zones:
>
> And we have to restart it fairly often, just for routine changes, which
> gets old.

I can simpathize with all of this. I simply cannot have a nameserver
doing that. I do like how PowerDNS makes it very easy to make zone
changes without restarting anything or disrupting any more than
necessary - and when starting, starts serving everything it can as
soon as it can, even while other zones are loading.

Of course, I'm not using the SQL backend now, so I can't speak to
that, or how performance compares to the BIND backend.

Brendan