[Pdns-users] New to powerdns

Brendan Oakley gentux2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 19:06:54 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 10:25 AM, Sloan <joe at tmsusa.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've been a bind admin for some years, but have recently installed pdns
> at home with a view to installing it for some IT clients. I've been
> fairly impressed with it so far. Anybody here using it in a large
> installation? Any anecdotes about reliability, performance etc as
> compared to isc bind 9?
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe

Hi Joe.

I would rank our installation as large. Not large like eBay but larger
than average to be sure. I can testify that the performance of
PowerDNS with the BIND backend, when compared to BIND, at least in our
case, is astounding. When I replaced one particular BIND 9 server with
a PowerDNS server, the query counts on the mrtg graph nearly tripled.
It is simply faster at answering queries. There are some feature
limitations to PowerDNS, and I'm still working on a couple of issues
with it, but they all seem like things that can be worked out. Unlike
BIND, which for whatever reason (perhaps the relatively severe load we
place on our nameservers) just can't stay running and has to be
periodically restarted and occasionally rebooted, and exhibits other
inexplicable problems.

The day we installed our first PowerDNS server was the day we finally
rested easy with regard to our nameservers. And the built-in web-based
reporting tool is surprisingly useful.

Thanks.
Brendan