[Pdns-users] OpenDBX vs Generic-Mysql/Pgsql backends

Norbert Sendetzky norbert at linuxnetworks.de
Tue Nov 13 10:57:14 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007 23:24:51 Duane wrote:
> I personally hate all the unnecessary abstract layers, yes they are
> useful in providing a one to many interface, but this adds an extra
> layer of complexity, and extra point for bugs to creep in, and an extra
> point of failure.
>
> I've seen the point of failure happen with some versions of ODBC.

Not all database APIs are as straight forward as e.g. the PostgreSQL API. If
you want to provide backends to Firebird, Oracle, etc. you may be struggling
with their API and the chance to make mistakes is rather high if you write
the db code yourself. Instead, implementing only one API even reduces the
probability of bugs in your code while people knowing the database APIs
better can focus on providing one interface and handling the db quirks.

I don't like ODBC either because from a developer point of view it has a
complex API and providing one SQL syntax comes with a big performance hit.

Regards,

Norbert
--
OpenPGP public key