[Pdns-users] AFSDB records

Bastian powerdns0703 at melvex.xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 6 20:49:34 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am using PowerDNS and OpenAFS (a distributed file system). OpenAFS
clients are capable of reading  the names of the central servers from an
AFSDB record (instead of a file, that would be required on every
workstation). The AFSDB record is specified in RFC1183

The reply needed by OpenAFS is something like:

% host -a mydomain.com
1 0 AFSDB centralserver.mydomain.com

It looks like PowerDNS does not support this record (yet?). It is not on
the list of supported types (http://doc.powerdns.com/types.html)

My questions are:

- Am I correct about PowerDNS not supporting AFSDB? (I tried and it
seems it really doesn't).
- If so, will AFSDB support be added in the future?
- Is there some workaround to get this output from PowerDNS anyway?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Bastian