[Pdns-users] PowerDNS on FreeBSD: CPU Hungry?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Jul 20 06:00:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 09:44:59PM -0600, Aaron Gifford wrote:
> Things immediately slowed down.  Painfully slow.  And CPU usage climbed to
> 70-80%.  The test queries I did, those that didn't time out, worked, so
> PowerDNS was in fact answering correctly for authoritative domains as well
> as talking to the recursor and handling recursive queries.

Aaron,

Thanks for your detailed report! What I'd love to know is if the recursor or
the auth server was using up all that CPU.

Additionally, could you run 'vmstat 1' to get the 'user', 'system' and
'idle' loads?

I have no reports of PowerDNS being painfully slow, and in fact, I know some
installations are doing much much more traffic than you are doing in such a
configuration.

Does the auth server generate any logging? It is known to be a bit chatty
about problems communicating with its resolver.

Please let me know!

	Bert