[Pdns-users] Reverse DNS

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Fri Jan 19 10:00:54 UTC 2007

Folks,

  I have now set up, and documented at

  	http://www.aims.ac.za/wiki/index.php/DNS

  our usage of PowerDNS, using the LDAP backend.

  I struggled a little bit over how to do reverse DNS, and finally
  decided to incorporate it into the LDAP entry for the same machine's
  forward DNS. Comments welcome ..

  Since the SOA record and nameservers for the reverse are different
  from the forward, I put an entry dc=_reverse_ in under the top level
  to carry that.

  Some ideas to mull over - none of which I need now, but while it is
  all fresh in my mind I might as well write them down..

  I currently run two (actually three, counting a recursor) DNS servers,
  one inward-facing and the other outward-facing, as requirements are
  different. Perhaps in the future, powerdns might be capable of running
  a single instance, and differentiating by connection interface ?

  This might be done by having a substitution mechanism in the config file ?

ldap-basedn=ou=${interface},dc=example,dc=net
ldap-filter-lookup=(&(:target:)(businessCategory=${interface}))
ldap-binddn=ou=${interface},dc=example,dc=net

  Perhaps other things available, like ${type}, ${source_ip} ?

  Thanks Bert for all your work on PowerDNS !

Cheers,  Andy!