[Pdns-users] Frontend for PowerDNS ?!

Rudolph Bott rb at megabit.net
Thu Dec 20 13:57:47 UTC 2007

Hey List,

Augie Schwer wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2007 3:18 AM, milkteeth <kml777singh at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone knows about a reliable frontend for PowerDNS to use with PHP-5,
>> MySQL-5 ?!
>> I have tried a few:
>> PowerAdmin: not being updated anymore
>> FreshDNS: still beta
>> WebDNS: not goodenough
>> Tupa: also not so promising
>
> I'm using ZoneAdmin internally :
Yay!

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/zoneadmin
Thats it, exactly..

> Currently the PowerDNS Web Front-end field is playing itself out, no
> clear leaders yet, but a few enthusiastic upstarts.
>
> I think that anyone who is serious about offering DNS services to
> customers is writing their own interface; which if you already have
> some web developers shouldn't be that hard; hand them a decent spec.
> and point them at the MySQL back-end and call it done.

I'm the main developer of the ZoneAdmin project...unfortunatly I didn't have the time in the past few months to push the development further ahead as I was quite busy with my regular work. I definetly look forward to do some serious coding/enhancement in the near feature (maybe sometime around the
upcoming holidays) and to release another beta version. Since a lot of you guys also use other pdns backends (than the generic mysql one) one of the next "larger" changes will be to switch to a database abstraction layer to allow at least managing of more than just one backend. Other hints/requests
are welcome - currently I'm working on a (rather simple) plugin interface which allows you to insert custom "actions" before/after updating/adding/deleting records/zones (e.g. mail notifications, automatic adding of reverse records etc.).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards

Rudolph Bott
--
Megabit Informationstechnik GmbH
Karstr.25  41068 Moenchengladbach  Tel:02161/30898-0  Fax:-18