[Pdns-users] CNAME answer problem?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Aug 10 11:23:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 01:16:50PM +0200, Joyce LAMBERT wrote:
> Do you know in witch RFC we can find this 'Algorithm', it seem that the
> cname reply with servfail is a problem for some web hosting and for DNSSTUFF

It is only a problem for 'DNSSTUFF'.

This has been discussed on the IETF DNS working group mailing list:
http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2002/msg00452.html

"a truncated CNAME chain, where the "next hop" is in a zone the current
 server isn't authoritative for and recursion is disabled IS a "problem with
 the name server" and in this case "2" (SERVFAIL) is the appropriate
 answer."

In practice, BIND 8 has the same behaviour as PowerDNS, so if it is a
problem in PowerDNS, it is a problem the whole world shares.

	Bert