[Pdns-users] recursor required or not?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat Aug 4 21:01:40 UTC 2007

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 09:09:30PM +0200, Schramm e.K. [ Deutschland ] wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> i am a little bit confused at the moment of the following question:
>
> do i need a recursor or not?

You only need a recursor if you have computers that want to use your IP
address to gain information about domains that are not yours.

So unless there are unix computers with the ip address of your nameservers
in /etc/resolv.conf, or there are windows or apple machines configured to
use your IP address as their resolver, you don't need a recursor.

> zones:
> 10 000 round about

These days this is what we call a 'small' powerdns installation :-)

> my understanding of recursor is:
> i do not absolute need an recursor, because the recursor tells only
> one thing to the client:
>
> the domain is not at this dns server, but i know an dns server which
> you can find it.

This is correct. But regular authoritative servers do not need this feature.

Good luck!