[Pdns-users] Newbie Question

Derrik Pates demon at devrandom.net
Tue Apr 10 11:58:02 UTC 2007

Tom Rossi wrote:
> I created a CNAME record for www.test.com that points to a real
> zone on my production DNS.  Here is the problem, when I try to resolve
> www.test.com, it doesn't come back with the IP from my CNAME record
> lookup, but instead it actually resolves www.test.com from the public
> DNS.

I'm guessing you've configured it to recurse; it will try to query
recursively first, unless 'allow-recursion-override' is set to "yes". I
don't recommend enabling recursion on authoritative nameservers, however.

Take a look at http://doc.powerdns.com/recursion.html for more
information on recursion features of PowerDNS.

> 1.  Is this the correct format for a CNAME record?
> INSERT INTO records (domain_id, name, content, type,ttl) VALUES
> (1,'www.test.com','host.mydomain.com','CNAME',120);

This is correct, yes.

> 2.  Should PowerDNS EVER send a recursive lookup for a domain that is
> listed in its domains table?  Seems like it should recognize it is the
> authority and always respond.

No, this is normal; see the link I pasted above for more.

--
Derrik Pates
demon at devrandom.net