[Pdns-users] PowerDNS vs. TopLayer - Response not RFC compliant?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Sep 21 22:03:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 04:51:16PM +0200, Jonathan (Listserv Account) wrote:

> get thru OK, but the response from the PowerDNS server gets blocked
> by the TopLayer device. We had them make an exception for us so the
> problem is solved for now, but it might be worth looking into.

What PowerDNS does is return the same notification it received. This might
deviate from what Other Nameservers do.

>   We are using TopLayer devices, but that should be irrelevant.
>   It appears that PowerDNS does not follow RFC for DNS. It is
>   not a big deal from my viewpoint, but as a user of their
>   service I would recommend you pursue it to find out why. I

As I am currently very busy with other things, could you look up the DNS
RFCs on notifications and send me a link where it says how this should work?

If we deviate from the standard it will be fixed ASAP.

Thanks.