[Pdns-users] resursion to BIND

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 20:13:08 UTC 2006

bert hubert <bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 02:03:03AM +0100, Nic James Ferrier wrote:
>> asked it's views on www.X.com resolution. I thought that pdns would
>> first resolve the part this it *is* authoritative for and then ask the
>> recursor to find the rest.
>
> Try turning on:
> allow-recursion-override
>
> This may do what you want. PowerDNS sort of straddles the fence where it
> comes to answering questions it is only partly authoritative about.
>
> Please let us know if this helps!

No.

I can see why it doesn't help as well since this option is intended to
allow Internet addresses to be overridden.

What I am querying is at what steps the recursion occurs.

If I query my recursor enabled pdns server, which is authoritative on
a domain but which has only CNAME records, for one of those records
then surely it will:

- look up the result for the query

- find that it's a CNAME and recurse on the value of the CNAME

eg: I look up for www.X.com which is CNAMEd to realserver.Y.com and
the server does this:

  lookup www.X.com results in CNAME realserver.Y.com

  recurse for realserver.Y.com

  respond with the result

but this is not what powerdns seems to do.

Help! Please?

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs