[Pdns-users] Re: Verify PowerDNS answers?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Oct 13 14:33:45 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 03:29:50PM +0200, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
> > I've asked DJB if he can clarify.
>
> Any news on this?
>
> (this == existing domain without RR is reported NXDOMAIN by pdns)

Dan referred me to:

 http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=199912080700.XAA18392%40bb.rc.vix.com
 http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg01586.html
 http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg01600.html

It is somewhat muddy. For now, that means we are not going to overhaul
PowerDNS to comply with behaviour nobody actually uses, or can even rely on.

Normally I'm all in favour of following RFCs as closely as possible, but I
don't see a solution to this problem that does not kill our database
performance w/o overhauling our storage model.

To comply while retaining performance, we'd need to reverse our name storage
so 'www.powerdns.com' gets stored as com.powerdns.www, and we'd have to
start using 'like' queries.

Perhaps someone else, smarter than I am, can come up with a solution. As
nobody noticed our possible non-compliance for 7 years straight, I'm rather
unwilling to overhaul things as you might understand.

	Bert