[Pdns-users] Verify PowerDNS answers?

Augie Schwer augie.schwer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 21:18:36 UTC 2006

On 10/6/06, Kenneth Marshall <ktm at it.is.rice.edu> wrote:
> Have you taken a look at the dnsreplay tool that is included in
> the PowerDNS source? It will replay a network trace against a
> specified nameserver and give some statistics.

It certainly looked promising, but it doesn't seem to actually work:

On host machine:

# tcpdump -i eth0 -s 0 -w tmpf port 53
tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size
65535 bytes
688 packets captured
688 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

On client machine:

[augie at augnix tmp]$ dnsreplay tmpf x.x.x.x 53
0 queries that could still come in on time, 0 outstanding
we late: 0, orig late: 0, 0 questions sent, 0 original answers, 0
perfect, 0 mostly correct, 0 we better, 0 orig better (0 diff)
we never: 0, orig never: 0
original questions from IP addresses for which recursion was not available: 0
Unmatched from us: 0, unmatched from original: 0 ( - decoding err: 0)
DNS decoding errors from us: 0, from original: 0

All zeros; if I tcpdump the connection I see packets flying out to the
destination host, and answers coming back, so I'm not really sure
whats going on.

--
Augie Schwer    -    Augie at Schwer.us    -    http://schwer.us