[Pdns-users] Re: authoritative answers or not?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Oct 6 13:46:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 03:25:52PM +0200,
 Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex at ergens.op.het.net> wrote
 a message of 25 lines which said:

> By the way: I believe this to be true for NS records as well, but
> both pdns and bind agree on this and give a non authoritative
> answer.

The NS records in the zone are authoritative. The NS records in the
*parent* zone are the delegation and are *not* authoritative (that's
why they are not signed by DNSSEC).

See the difference on ns2.nic.fr - which i neither BIND nor PowerDNS,
by the way - between nic.fr (the machine is authoritative) and
wikipedia.fr (the machine is not authoritative, although it is a ".fr"
name server).