[Pdns-users] Re: Verify PowerDNS answers?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Oct 6 09:27:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 03:31:20AM +0200,
 Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex at ergens.op.het.net> wrote
 a message of 20 lines which said:

> > We would like to migrate our existing BIND setup to PowerDNS, but
> > I first need to prove that PowerDNS will return the same answers
> > that BIND does for a given set of zones.
>
> I don't know about such a tool, but I do know that pdns does not
> behave in the same way as bind.

And the problem with Augie Schwer's idea is that it is perfectly legal
to *not* behave exactly like BIND, since the DNS standard leaves many
options open. BIND 9 does not behave like BIND 8, by far (many oif our
registrars' scripts broke when we moved our servers to BIND 9).

Check ".fr" or ".", which have a mix of name servers. You'll see they
do not reply the same.

> A domain without any resource record (a legal situation) is reported
> to not exist according to pdns.

This is a bug (although one which is unlikely to occur in the real
world), not a legal difference in behavior.