[Pdns-users] Disable a record instend of deleting it?

Alan Hodgson ahodgson at simkin.ca
Fri May 26 17:31:56 UTC 2006

On May 26, 2006 09:58 am, Bill Crenshaw <bcrenshaw99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response Alan :-)
>
> Please excuse my ignorance of powerdns. Would not
> PowerDNS itself need a way to differentiate between an
> enabled record and a disabled one?  I know I could add
> the structure to the db but without powerdns looking
> for that additional field during a lookup I'm not sure
> how a custom query would work here.

PowerDNS uses your custom SQL queries, if defined, to do the lookups.  They
will be the only interaction with your database.  So you can add whatever
columns you want and define the queries to find only the records you want,
and PowerDNS will then only find and use those records.

This gives enormous flexibility.  You can even define the queries to use
views or function outputs if you want in place of the normal tables.  As
long as they return the column types that PowerDNS wants, your queries can
look for just about anything.

--
Alan