[Pdns-users] problem with qmail and powerdns

Jeroen quagga at muntinternet.nl
Thu May 25 13:04:21 UTC 2006

Stephen Harker wrote:
> Jeroen wrote:
>
>> Hi All, Bert,
>>
>> Since I upgraded our pdns-recursors from 3.0.1 to 3.1.1 I noticed
>> problems with the qmail-mta.
>>
>> Qmail has trouble resolving hostnames with the new recursor (deferral:
>> CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)/)
>> And it isn't just one server that is complaining, I checked several and
>> they all have this problem. I changed back our recursors to version
>> 3.0.1 and the problem is solved.
>>
>> The recursors resolve fine if I test them with Dig or nslookup. It could
>> for sure be a qmail problem, but I don't think that major changes in
>> behavior are planned in minor version updates, right?
>> If one needs more info, I'm fine sharing it.
>>

> I have found exactly the same problems here. I am going to have to
> switch back to the djbdns recursor in the interim until we can find out
> what's wrong.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen,

3.0.1 works great, so there is no real need to fall back to djbdns I
believe.

The problem is in 3.1.1 as far as I can tell, I have tested several
recursors in the past and haven't seen this qmail-behavior before.
It's not up to me to warn or advise others about this, but I think it
would be smart to fall-back to 3.0.1 if you use qmail in your network,
until Bert replies about this.
That could take a bit today, since everybody has a day off in the
Netherlands.

Kind regards,

Jeroen