[Pdns-users] Some PowerDNS Recursor oddities

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri May 19 13:31:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 11:49:19AM -0600, Darren Gamble wrote:

> happen.  Often the user doesn't even have a business relationship with
> their old provider anymore, which makes it much more difficult for them
> to have this change done (sometimes we can help them out).  This
> particular situation happens a couple times a week, perhaps?

Wow, that's bad. PowerDNS in fact does the wrong thing here in that it
refreshes from the authoritative servers each time they helpfully send back
the NS records with an answer:

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ds9a.nl.                       IN      A
;; ANSWER SECTION:
ds9a.nl.                3600    IN      A       213.244.168.210

(wait 3 seconds)

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ds9a.nl.                       IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ds9a.nl.                3597    IN      NS      ns2.pine.nl.
ds9a.nl.                3597    IN      NS      ns1.pine.nl.

(wait a bit)

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.ds9a.nl.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.ds9a.nl.            3600    IN      A       213.244.168.210

(wait 1 second)

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ds9a.nl.                       IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ds9a.nl.                3599    IN      NS      ns2.pine.nl.
ds9a.nl.                3599    IN      NS      ns1.pine.nl.

And indeed, BIND does 'the other thing'. And so does PowerDNS, post commit
837: http://wiki.powerdns.com/projects/trac/changeset/837

Thanks Darren! It sucks to have to deal with broken operators, but the
clinching argument is that you have to deal this several times a week, which
means it is a real issue.

Kind regards,

bert hubert