[Pdns-users] Fork vs. threading

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri May 19 11:44:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 12:15:09PM -0600, Darren Gamble wrote:

> Sounds good.  We were just under the impression that this was a
> "workaround" until you had a better situation in place- but if it's the
> best way to do it, then great.

The "hack" part is that there is little work done to hide the fact that you
are running two nameservers.

> talk to one another.  Of course, caches use other cached information to
> resolve names... but again, it's just a suggestion!

It is rather tricky :-)

> We were considering more the ramifications of having two different sets
> of data on the same physical cache, which would likely have different
> TTLs and possibly different rdata.  It would make troubleshooting across
> different queries interesting, at the very least! :-)

Which is why we have id.server around which tells you which server you are
talking to. Almost all providers I know have multiple nameservers running
behind one logical IP address.

id.server should then reflect which fork it is answering from though, it
doesn't do so now.

Kind regards,

bert