[Pdns-users] Re: Some PowerDNS Recursor oddities

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue May 16 13:20:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 03:12:17PM +0200,
 bert hubert <bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl> wrote
 a message of 40 lines which said:

> Lots of domains have very low TTLs which means a lot of additional
> queries to the registry, which did not ask for this.

The zone "owner" asked for it. I understand your concern but I always
hesitate when people try to do people good when they disagree :-)

If you receive a A record with a TTL of zero, do you increase it
because you believe you are "more right" than the zone owner (I often
thinks so but I thought I was the only one to be bold enough).

> Also, do you consider the registry doubtful?

Non-authoritative.

> Also, what does it *mean* to have a lower TTL than specified in the
> parent zone? It means that either:

> 1) the parent zone is making false statements about the expected
> validity of its answers

> 2) You are making changes faster than the registry can follow in any
> case

No, it means that I know no DNS registry where the user can specify a
TTL for the NS delegation. All database schemas I've seen for DNS
registries make the TTL a global variable. Protocols like EPP or RRP
do not allow to transmit a TTL.