[Pdns-users] Re: Some PowerDNS Recursor oddities

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue May 16 12:46:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:41:51PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > If I understand correctly, it is unclear what the 'best' behaviour
> > is,
>
> I strongly disagree. There is a clear consensus (backed on RFC 2181

You disagree with what I understand? :-) I had missed the message you
linked, I did recall Peter Koch's statement that clarification was in order.

Thanks for the clarification.

I've reread the discussion but in this case following the spec still hurts
more than it helps. You may get a warm feeling to be compliant with the
cited paragraphs from 2181 but you are doing your users a disservice in real
life.

I've now implemented the mandated behaviour -
http://wiki.powerdns.com/projects/trac/changeset/836 . For Darren, See
http://wiki.powerdns.com/projects/trac/wiki/HACKING for how to apply.

I'll make it optional and off by default though. I do want to offer people
the ability to follow RFCs to the letter, but I see no reason to harm users
in the process if it makes no other sense than simply being compliant with a
document.

Kind regards,

bert hubert