[Pdns-users] DNS Replication

Nico van Royen nico at van-royen.nl
Tue May 9 12:15:22 UTC 2006

_____
From: Derrik Pates [mailto:demon at devrandom.net]
To: Nico van Royen [mailto:nico at van-royen.nl]
Cc: pdns-users [mailto:pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com]
Sent: Tue, 09 May 2006 14:02:35 +0200
Subject: Re: [Pdns-users] DNS Replication

Nico van Royen wrote:
>> If you would have a large amount of DNS servers (in several remote
>> locations) what would be the preffered method of keeping them all in sync ?
>>
>> Our current idea is:
>> - To have one mysql server on each location
>> - Every pdns server on that location connects to the one mysql server
>> - One real 'master' mysql server does mysql replication to all remote
>> mysql servers.

> This is the approach that I use (as I believe do most implementations of
> PowerDNS with MySQL and replication). The synchronization overhead, once
> you have it set up, is not as high as you seem to think; unless you have
> an exceedingly *high* rate of change of your records (on the order of
> tens to hundreds a second, I think), the overhead of replicating the
> data from your master nameserver to the replicant systems should be
> negligible. What makes you think this would be such an issue?

Our concern is that we expect 5000 dns changes per second (possible more in the future).
The DNS servers are supposed to be authorative for an entire .tld as well as recursive.
meaning that each dns server should query its (slave) sql server for all queries (and recurse when needed) while the (slave) sql server should also be synced to the master database.

Replicating the master SQL database to over 10 slave sql servers would lead to quite some overhead in our expectations.

Nico van Royen
WARP3.COM