[Pdns-users] Re: SPF records support

Julian Mehnle julian at mehnle.net
Wed May 31 19:21:32 UTC 2006

Several months ago, Bert Hubert wrote:
> I've just added SPF records support. I don't personally have the
> knowledge to test if they work, so if you care about SPF records, please
> test the latest version from subversion, see http://wiki.powerdns.com
>
> If you can't get that to work, but do want to test SPF, please contact
> me and I'll help.

Today I added a record to one of my zones with type='SPF' and content=
'v=spf1 ...' and then tried to query it using `dig <domain> TYPE99`, but
got no records back.  (Querying a type='TXT' record in the same domain
works ok.)

However, I get the following error in syslog whenever I do a TYPE99 or ANY
query on the domain:

| pdns[<pid>]: Unable to insert a record of type #0 for '<domain>'

When I change the type='SPF' record to type='FOO', I get exactly the same
results.  This, and reading PDNS source changeset 472[1], leads me to
believe that type='SPF' isn't actually recognized.

This might actually be related to an earlier incident[2] reported by a PDNS
user in last September.  Perhaps he had a record with some unknown type in
his database, too?

Julian.