[Pdns-users] Stale controlsocket sockets / pid file

Darren Gamble darren.gamble at sjrb.ca
Tue May 23 20:16:30 UTC 2006

Good day,

I noted that the recursor leaves both its controlsocket sockets around after it's been normally terminated, as well as the pid file.

This is really not a big issue unless the daemon is run with "fork", where the controlsocket files are named with the pid- and thus each restart of the process will cause these sockets to accumulate.  Of course, it would be proper to clean these files out- especially the pid file, whose existence is commonly assumed to mean that the process is running.

Note also that when forked, the pid file just has the pid of the most recently spawned process (I presume it always overrides what's there).  It actually would be helpful if the "parent" process were to write both pids to the file- this would be really helpful for control scripts.

We were just trying to hack together new init script that would properly control these forked processes by looking at either the current socket files or the pid file.

This is with the 3.1 release.

FYI,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services