[Pdns-users] Fork vs. threading

Darren Gamble darren.gamble at sjrb.ca
Wed May 17 17:09:21 UTC 2006

Good day,

We noted that the PowerDNS nameserver uses threading, while the Recursor daemon uses a simple "fork" configuration command to run a second process. It is described in the documentation as a "bit of a hack". =)

In this configuration, do the two processes share the same cache somehow?

We were just wondering if there was any demand or plans to have the recursor deamon use threads like its nameserver cousin.  We're guessing that this would help performance (maybe not?), especially on machines with more than two processors.

Thanks!

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP