[Pdns-users] TCP Queries / multiple recursors

Ton van Rosmalen ton at netbase.nl
Tue May 16 12:10:20 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm new to the list, so I'm unsure whether this is the right list for this
message, if not please let me know.

I had PowerDNS (up until this morning) set-up to use 2 recursors
(Linux-build) which led to a strange problem

My config had the following entry where x and y are the resolvers from our
upstream ptovider:
recursor=x.x.x.x,y.y.y.y

Using dnsreport.com I constantly got a message that 'one of my nameservers'
did not allow tcp-queries. I finally got around to testing it this morning.
Among the differences between two nameservers running PowerDNS was the
recursor-config. On one dns-server it was set-up to use one recursor while
the other was set-up to use 2 recursors.

It not only doesn't answer recursive queries but it also doesn't allow
tcp-queries for domains for which it is authoritive. To make things stranger
a tcp-query requesting AXFR does work.

Anyone else had/has similar problems?

Kind regards,

Ton