[Pdns-users] Features: ACLs (for AXFR et al), configurable SQL queries

Alexander List alexlist at sbox.tu-graz.ac.at
Wed May 3 16:05:27 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating PowerDNS as an alternative to BIND9 and MyDNS.

Some things that caught my attention and where I'd love to get some hints:

* ACLs for zone transfers and for queries (allow-xfer, allow-query)

These are available in BIND and MyDNS, but I couldn't find anything
related in the PowerDNS manual and/or the sample config. I only found a
global directive allow-axfr-ips. This seems to be documented in

http://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2005-September/002641.html

Any plans to include this patch in the mainline code, using CIDR
notation? It would be nice to have something like an "xfer" column like
in MyDNS.

* configurable SQL queries

I was really missing some documentation wrt the gmysql backend. OK, I
just read those <200 lines of code in mysqlbackend.cc :-)

Eventually, you want to have some kind of "active flag" for a domain, to
support creating the domain in the database backend while queries for
the domain will be refused until it is really set to "active".

User-configurable SQL queries would really rock the boat...

Thanks for any hints!

Alexander List