[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Deployment in High Traffic/Redundancy Environment

Max Clark max.clark at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 20:56:57 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am in the process of migrating a hodge podge of BIND, TinyDNS and
MyDNS based zones into a single PowerDNS based platform. We are
currently running against a mysql database configured with Master ->
Slave replication with two authoritative servers each pointing to a
different database. As I am contemplating the geographic distribution
of servers I am faced with replicating mysql to slave servers in each
site to maintain the zone data.

While the combination of PDNS and Mysql works very well and with Mysql
Replication affords a level of redundancy and realtime update of the
zone data - I am becoming more and more concerned with our dependence
on the DB backend for the proper operation of our growing zones. This
is leading me to think about having a Mysql DB with a PDNS server
attached with slave PDNS servers replicating from the master to local
BIND based zone files.

With this kind of configuration how do I autocreate zones on the slave
server when they are created on the master via mysql? How do I force a
slave reload from the master server? In effect - how do I shorten my
update window to the slaves?

Am I missing something major here? Am I silly to want to move off of
the mysql backend? How do you scale PDNS safely to tens of thousands
of zones with hundreds of thousands of resource records?

Thanks in advance,
Max

--
Max Clark