[Pdns-users] Using AXFR vs. Mysql Replication

Lukas Beeler lb-pdns-users at projectdream.org
Fri Jun 23 18:51:39 UTC 2006

* Max Clark <max.clark at gmail.com>:
> issues with Mysql replication (and once because mysql went down
> causing the nameservers to go down, which caused name resolution for
> client access to fail when we tried to bring the nameservers back up -
> really stupid problem).

MySQL has had a few issues with replication (i've got
an open bug report with the MySQL people), and we've started to
monitor replication much more closely, and also started
seperating MySQL Instances for various services.

Are you using Nagios or a similar tool? MySQL replication can
break silently if you don't monitor it, which can cause major
headaches.

If you don't want to rollout nagios or something similar, i'd
recommend you to use nagios check scripts, and run them in a
cronjob with a small wrapper around them which sends SMS.

Personally, all the problems we had with MySQL happened because
we don't use a testbed environment for all changes.

If you need any help with nagios, let me know, i'd be happy to
share my configuration and scripts (don't have time to publish
them all properly).