[Pdns-users] Two questions about powerdns

Derrik Pates demon at devrandom.net
Sun Jan 22 16:19:39 UTC 2006

Oded Arbel wrote:
>>That understanding is wrong :-) SOA auto serial calculation is
>>separate from notified serial. You need to really update the SOA
>>serial number.
>

> It kind of annoying, because the SOA serial is stuck in the middle of
> the SOA record that is stored textually in the records table - so I
> can't easily automate it. In moving to power dns, I was hoping to get
> rid of all the specially crafted text parsing that had to be done to
> manage bind domains, and apparently that is not the case.

I do have a patch that works against MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite
through the gsql backend. I have it attached to this e-mail. If you're
using another database, this won't work for you. If it's another
database that's usable through the Generic SQL backend, only minor
changes will be needed; other databases will require more work. I am
using this patch in production as part of my employer's DNS
infrastructure, and it's worked quite well for our use. I know this
patch works against 2.9.18, and so it should work against 2.9.19 as well.

Please keep in mind that this was not originally my patch, but I don't
recall exactly where the original came from (it was on the list some
time back). It just includes my improvements to better handle automatic
serial handling, incorporate support for SQLite, and fix the code to
work on newer versions.

--
Derrik Pates
demon at devrandom.net