[Pdns-users] pdns recursor doesn't recurse

Yaroslav Tarasenko tswiah at innovativemarketing.com.ua
Mon Feb 27 08:01:51 UTC 2006

Hello.

We have running pdns-static-2.9.19-1 on a linux box with the recursor on
the same machine.
Recursor serves well except some special cases. We have an internal
domain, say '.int' and our powerdns machine is an authoritative
nameserver for this very domain. And there is a subdomain also, say
'some.int', that has another authoritative nameserver, will name it 'NS2'.
When I'm trying to resolve any name in some.int domain, nslookup prints
out 'No answer' (though when resolving the same name directly from NS2
it works well).
Turning on log_queries (we use MySQL backend) gives some additional
information:
PowerDNS looks for a NS records for some.int domain, finds it in a
database, then resolves to an ip-address and ... nothing more. Running
pdns recursor in monitor mode shows that there are no queries to NS2 at all.

Is this a PowerDNS misfunction or my mistake? Please help, any advices
are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.