[Pdns-users] pdns stops responding to requests

Brandon Checketts brandonc at webpipe.net
Wed Dec 20 21:21:51 UTC 2006

Augie Schwer wrote:
> On 12/18/06, Brandon Checketts <brandonc at webpipe.net> wrote:
>> Uptime: 1.85 hours Queries/second, 1, 5, 10 minute averages: 2.61e-14,
>> 0.0111,
>> 0.304. Max queries/second: 11.4
>> Backend query load, 1, 5, 10 minute averages: 4.18e-14, 0.0216, 0.614.
>> Max
>> latency                 32709   Average number of microseconds needed
>> to answer
>> a question
>> qsize-q                 37      Number of questions waiting for
>> database attention
> These numbers are high; based on this I would investigate the MySQL
> backend for problems; see if it is logging errors at the same time you
> see PowerDNS choke.

Augie,

Thank you for taking the time to look at that.  Without having anything to
compare it to, I was unaware that that these values were so high.  After looking
at the database, I see that the 'name' field in the 'records' table didn't have
an index defined.  After creating that, the latency is down to 66 microseconds,
so that made a huge difference.  I'm hopefully that will resolve the crashes
we've been experiencing.

Thanks again for your help,
Brandon Checketts
Webpipe.net System Administrator