[Pdns-users] pdns stops responding to requests

Brandon Checketts brandonc at webpipe.net
Tue Dec 19 02:01:35 UTC 2006

Augie,

Thank you for your response.  I'm running version 2.9.20 that was installed from
the pdns-static-2.9.20-1 RPM.  UDP is definitely failing, not sure about TCP as
we get very few TCP Requests.

I've just installed strace, and can run it.  Each pdns_server-instance processes
display different things, but I'm not a programmer, so I don't understand much
of the output.   I can pick out the three processes that are doing the MySQL
queries, and the one that looks like its receiving/sending the actual DNS
traffic, so I will do an strace on it the next time that it fails to see if it
identifies anything.  I will also try the pdns "dump" and see if that reveals
anything.

I looked at a tcpdump that I had running at the time of a failure and didn't see
anything unusual, just DNS requests, MySQL lookups/replys and DNS answers.
Then, when it fails, only incoming DNS requests with no other traffic until it
is restarted.

Thanks,
Brandon Checketts
Webpipe.net System Administrator