[Pdns-users] Re: Installing recursor and nameserver on one server

Julian Mehnle julian at mehnle.net
Sun Dec 17 21:30:02 UTC 2006

Matt Cooling wrote:
> I would like to install both the PowerDNS authoritative server and the
> PowerDNS recursor on the same server. Is there any documentation which
> explains how to do this? If I try and install both RPMs I get a conflict
> message:
>
> file /usr/sbin/pdns_recursor from install of pdns-recursor-3.1.4-1
> conflicts with file from package pdns-static-2.9.20-1

I don't know about the RPMs, but I have installed both of them concurrently
on Debian.  The recursor listens on localhost port 54 and the authorita-
tive server on all interfaces on port 53 (forwarding recursive queries to
localhost port 54).  So it should generally work for you, too.

Perhaps the RPMs conflict with each other due to both the recursor and the
authoritative server running on port 53 by default?  However that isn't
really a justification for making the packages conflict with each other...