[Pdns-users] Re: Domains with binary (e.g. UTF-8) labels

Ian Tester ian at testers.homelinux.net
Sun Dec 17 14:51:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:07:33 +0000
Julian Mehnle <julian at mehnle.net> wrote:

> Case insensitivity applies only to ASCII characters.  So where's the
> problem?

We don't know if the data is ASCII. If what Bert stated is true, we don't
know what the data should be. That's the problem.

Passing around strings of text '8-bit clean' is fine until you have to
actually understand what the stream of bytes mean i.e manipulate it or make
decisions based on it. That's where character encodings come in. You can't
simply say: This byte is 0x42, which is upper-case 'B', so I'll lower-case
it to 'b'. That byte might be part of a double-byte character in UTF-16,
or any other multi-byte encoding.

We need to know what encoding a string uses, otherwise we risk making a
real mess.

bye