[Pdns-users] Including domains with wildcards

Matt Cooling matt at phereo.com
Sun Dec 3 09:43:51 UTC 2006

Currently, the behaviour of PowerDNS when configured to use wildcards is as
follows, when searching for www.testsite.com

www.testsite.com
*.testsite.com
*.com

So, I was hoping to use a record '*.testsite.com' to provide an IP address
for all domains under 'testsite.com', such as:

www.testsite.com
www2.testsite.com
docs.testsite.com

This works fine with one exception, that is the root domain 'testsite.com',
which will not be identified by the '*.testsite.com' record. Is this a bug,
or by design, and is there any way I can get round this? At the moment, for
every domain I have to have two records:

*.testsite.com
testsite.com

which is causing us some scalability issues.

Many thanks,

Matt