[Pdns-users] Reset SOA Serial No.?

Derrik Pates demon at devrandom.net
Thu Aug 24 16:39:55 UTC 2006

Matthias Kellermann wrote:
> We have a slight problem with the SOA Serial No. entries, because its
> not in the usual YYYYMMDDNN format.
>
> Can I safely reset the SOA Serial No. to a lower value in the
> recommended serial no. format? I will do this for the primary and all
> secondary DNS servers.

As long as you make sure that all the authoritative servers are coerced
by whatever means to present the same record set, that's fine. The
serial number is specifically for the purpose of allowing slaves to
determine if their record set is older than what the master has, but if
you force it, that won't matter. Recursors don't look at them, so it'll
be just like any other time you update your DNS information.

--
Derrik Pates
demon at devrandom.net