[Pdns-users] bogus ANY query type for recursor

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Apr 20 07:43:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:30:42AM +0200, Tomas Brandysky wrote:
> we are using Pdns 2.9.20 with pdns-recursor enabled.
>
> We have noticed a problem when 'ANY' type request is sent for one
> specific domain besides queries for other domains are ok.

I can't reproduce this problem with 3.0 branch of the pdns-recursor.

Can you try to reproduce with
http://svn.powerdns.com/pdns-recursor-3.0-pre4-snapshot.tar.bz2
?

> In nutshell, it seems that pdns-recursor has problem asking ONLY
> seznam.cz domain for ANY type. It should return something like this:

Have you verified asking seznam.cz ANY directly to the recursor with nothing
in between?

What I think is happening is that 2.9.20 is sending back a packet that is
truncated (>512 bytes), and that the main powerdns can't handle that.

The newer pdns_recursor creates smaller packets.

> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 492

With the old recursor, it is very well possible that you'd exceed 512.

Good luck!