[Pdns-users] Query Logging

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Sep 29 19:38:08 UTC 2005

At 12:16 PM -0700 2005-09-29, Max Clark wrote:

>  So then crazy question... Companies like UltraDNS, Netriplex, DNSMadeEasy,
>  etc... make money based on the number of queries a particular domain/RR
>  gets. How do they track this?

	First off, I don't believe that they make money based on the
number of queries received.  I'm sure they make money on a per-domain
basis, and they probably have classes of service, which are
presumably roughly based on traffic generated -- but only roughly.

	However, if they do track this sort of stuff at all, then (based
on past experience), they most likely track it using "span" and
"mirror" ports on switches, which direct copies of all packets coming
in to given server addresses to one or more alternative destination
ports.

	On those alternate ports, they run dedicated network sniffer
devices (basically, a customized version of tcpdump), which have a
database of all the domains and records served by a given set of
servers, and counters for each of those domains and records.  Note
that this means that they almost never do any disk I/O, except to
load in the data about the domains/records being served.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755