[Pdns-users] ddns

Mark Martin ops1 at frontierbroadband.com
Mon Oct 24 00:15:28 UTC 2005

harald kapper wrote:

> Mark Martin wrote:
>
>> O.K., on to the next question....
>>
>> I have seen no reference to pdns doing ddns, so I think it may be
>> reasonable to
>> say it probably doesn't (at least not with mysql)...
>>
>> Would it be appropriate to run in tandem (i.e. 2 backends), the
>> gmysql, and bind2
>> backend, letting the bind2 backend manage the ddns, and let gmysql
>> manage
>> all of the other?  Or is there an alternative?  Running the bind2
>> backend for
>> ddns is probably the best solution from what I am aware of.
>

> hi
> actually I don't know what you mean by ddns - I guess no problem here
> with mysql either if you refer to dynamic-dns as it just depends on
> how you register hosts and do the updates...

That's what I refer to, I have various pools that hand out dhcp, the
main reason for the ddns
is to supply both forward and reverse dns for subnets w/in our broadband
network.
The pools I have actually are parsed by mac and channeled to certain
address pools by
manufacturer's mac addresses, this way when tracking problems on our
network,
I know specific ip address ranges are certain types of equipment (BTW,
this will
not work w/ < ISC DHCP v 3).  For instance, certain ranges are off the shelf
customer routers, while others are specific ip ranges are CPE equipment
in specific
frequency ranges.
This is independant of the basically static dns entries for our domain.
The dhcp is the
part that provides the ddns, it is not 'user' programmable, in the sense
of several
dynamic dns that I have seen that let people attach their host name on
the fly, using an
otherwise random ip (these ips are not static).  Saves maintenance work
while eliminating
user intervention for maintenance and is as dynamic dhcp.