[Pdns-users] Issue with communications hanging, version 2.9.17-13sarge1

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Oct 20 21:25:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 10:48:38PM +0200, bert hubert wrote:
> Could you in the mean time tell me where you got the powerdns binary from,
> did you compile it yourself, of so, which gcc, which operating system, which
> version etc.

Strike that, this was all in your original message.

My suspicion so far is that some other part of PowerDNS has closed port 11
and some other part reopened it, leaving a non-blocking socket in its place.

> > But only shows this when it has stopped working (1 time, not over and over):
> >
> > recvfrom(11,
> > (the file descriptor for socket 11 shows: "pdns_serv 19540    pdns   11u
> > IPv4     912515                   UDP *:10006")

10006 is suspiciously close to 10000. Can you check next time if it is still
in the neighborhood of 10000?

> > And that is it.  I can still force a retrieve with pdns_control and the
> > command will return, but nothing happens.

That is congruent with the communicator socket blocking on recvfrom, which
could be caused by the problem above.

Could you (privately) send me your pdns.conf and perhaps details on how many
(slave) domains you have?

Thanks.