[Pdns-users] Multiple database servers

Lorens Kockum lorens-pdns-3987 at tagged.lorens.org
Sun Mar 6 12:34:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 07:11:05PM -0600, Barry Bourdage wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>  I checked the archive and found some references to this subject but no
> resolution. I currently have 2 PDNS servers, and 3 postgres boxes with a
> master to slave/slave replication going on.
>
> I would like to have pdns try another slave if one of the slaves goes
> down. Any insight would be appreciated.

I wouldn't try to set up something unusual inside PDNS.

I would set up a third PDNS server, and let the DNS redundancy
do its work. OK, you do need to add the third server to all your
domains, but once it's done, it's done.

I have no experience with one nameserver having two IPs, I fear
it could highlight obscure bugs in resolvers and maybe even some
registry/registrar tools, for uncertain benefits.

Maybe TCP rendundancy could do the trick? I'm fairly certain some TCP
loadbalancers could be adapted to failover from one postgres server to
another. More of a postgres problem, I'd say.

In summary I'd do the redundancy either at the DNS protocol
level or at the database level, not at the PDNS level.

HTH.