[Pdns-users] strange things happening

Adam Long ajlong at worldlink.net
Thu Jul 7 15:25:07 UTC 2005

C:\Documents and Settings\ajlong>nslookup www.paysafenet.com
Server:  ns1.worldlink.net
Address:  63.116.130.6

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.paysafenet.com
Address:  205.177.73.245

C:\Documents and Settings\ajlong>nslookup www.paysafenet.com
Server:  ns1.worldlink.net
Address:  63.116.130.6

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.paysafenet.com
Address:  205.177.73.245

C:\Documents and Settings\Adam>nslookup www.paysafenet.com 24.48.33.2
Server:  alpha.buf.adelphia.net
Address:  24.48.33.2

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to alpha.buf.adelphia.net timed-out

C:\Documents and Settings\Adam>nslookup www.paysafenet.com 24.48.33.2
Server:  alpha.buf.adelphia.net
Address:  24.48.33.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.paysafenet.com
Address:  205.177.73.245

First try on ns1.worldlink.net times out yet still gives an answer.
First try on alpha.buf.adelphia.net times out completely with no answer.
Second tries on both return fast answers (prob local cache)

ns1.worldlink.net is a PDNS server and pdns recursor for my local net.
alpha.buf.adelphia.net is my home ISP's dns server running BIND or windows
DNS service I believe.

I had this exact problem with my domains a while back.  It drove me nuts!  I
always assumed it was a problem with my registrar or something of that
nature.  But I used a few different registrars. And to my surprise one day
it was fixed and my DNS was blazing fast as it should be.  Nothing on my end
changed.

So if anyone has any ideas I too am curious as to what the problem here is.

-Adam