[Pdns-users] problem & solution resolving domains from Worldnic, including www.kde-look.org

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Jul 5 18:46:51 UTC 2005

It turns out that Worldnic (the company that hosts the kde-look.org domain)
implements some kind of DoS protection, only allowing UDP answers after
having seen at least one TCP connection.

It initially sends out an empty packet that says 'this answer is truncated,
please try via TCP'.

And then we hit the comment on http://doc.powerdns.com/built-in-recursor.html :

  Here are the current faults, so nobody can accuse us of false advertising:

    *   May have big problems with truncated packets.

And such has happened, we have a major bug. But at least we were honest
about it up front!

SOLUTION: run 'dig www.kde-look.org @ns9.worldnic.com ; dig www.kde-look.org
@ns10.worldnic.com' and restart the pdns recursor.

It is probably wise to continue running these two commands every once in a
while until we come up with a real fix, which I expect soon.

Our apologies.