[Pdns-users] Use user questions

lonnie at outstep.com lonnie at outstep.com
Sun Jul 3 18:03:05 UTC 2005

Ok, here's the setup:

Our server has 7 IP's used for various thing but 2 of them are going
to be used for our DNS server until we set up another to meet the
requirements to be a name server.

I have also installed installed dnscache because the pdns manual
said that it was a good idea.
---------------------------------
dnscache-conf dnscache dnslog /etc/dnscache 127.0.0.1
and then
ln -s /etc/dnscache /service

then with "ps -aux" I get
--------------------------------
root12863  0.0  0.0  1448  276 ?S 09:17   0:00 supervise dnscache

dnscache 12871  0.0  0.3  4528 1376 ?S    09:18  0:00
/usr/local/bin/dnscache

root     13772  0.0  0.1  4344  664 pts/0    R+   10:52   0:00 grep
dnscache

which is all normal from what I can tell.

My PDNS is on 205.177.75.34 - 35

"resolv.conf"
----------------------------
[root at GeneralC ~]# more /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 205.177.75.34
nameserver 127.0.0.1
#nameserver 63.216.0.5
#nameserver 63.216.0.6
search localhost
search 205.177.75.234
---------------------------

In the /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf
------------------------------

I can connect to the database just fine and have the

#################################
# chroot        If set, chroot to this directory for more security
#
 chroot=/home/pdns

#################################

#################################
# local-address Local IP address to which we bind
#
 local-address=205.177.75.34

#################################

#################################
# recursor      If recursion is desired, IP address of a recursing
nameserver
#
 recursor=63.216.0.5

#################################
# setgid        If set, change group id to this gid for more security
#
 setgid=pdns

#################################
# setuid        If set, change user id to this uid for more security
#
 setuid=pdns

#################################

The problem is that even if I turn off the PDNS instances (and we
can just talk about only one running for our purposes here) then I
can still resolve names and it appears that the dnscache is
resolving everything.

I only wanted the dnscache to cache for each instance of PDNS and
not resolve anything.

Does something look out of place with this?

Thanks for all of you help,
--
Lonnie Cumberland
OutStep Technologies Incorporated