[Pdns-users] Recursion needs bind ?

testacc at xs4all.nl testacc at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 9 20:14:46 UTC 2005

I'm testing some things with PowerDNS and think that it's very nice to use.

The problem that I see at this moment is recursing. As I'm right, PDNS
can't resolve to the outside world on his own and needs a recursor for
this. I think you always have to use BIND because this had the feature
that it can resolve on his own.

OK, going out from this you can choos a DNS-server from a large ISP to use
as a recursor. But what when this DNS-server is down, you have a serious
problem. OK, maybe a solution is to add different recursors defined in
your pdns.conf.

I still think this is not the best solution to have. I think you always
have to be "self serviced" for your DNS.

What is the best Solution ? Install also 2 different boxes that run BIND
in your network and use these as recursors ? I think it's not possible to
also run BIND locally on a machine so it's again totally running on his
own.

Can someone make this a little bit more clear ?